Saturday, October 17, 2009

Weekend thoughts

Here is a weekend update of some things that have gone on at our house this week!

On Monday I took Korben to the doctor because of his fussiness and runny nose. To no surprise to me, he had double ear infections (again). Dr. McClain started him on an antibiotic. Tuesday he started to have a fever, and by Wednesday it was even higher. His fussiness was only increasing, so we went back to the doctor. Got tested for the flu and strep, both tests were negative (Praise the Lord). Turns out the antibiotic wasn't working at all, and his ears were still inflamed. He wrote us a new prescription for another antibiotic.

On Wednesday evening, one of our favorite students, Rebecca Atkinson, from our Arkadelphia youth group came to visit us. She was a freshman in high school when we started working with the youth in Arkadelphia...now she is a freshman in college. Wow, time is flying by in a hurry!! We were incredibly humbled that she asked to spend her fall break with us! Korben and I didn't get to go to church on Wednesday night, but Rebecca went and got to go and experience what our youth ministry is like here. When she came back to the house, we all stayed up past midnight talking and catching up. Since Korben was still getting over being sick, we just stayed in the house on Thursday. He was a little unsure of her at first, but it wasn't long until he was really attached to "Beppa" (Becca). He took a nice long nap that day, and we watched "My life in Ruins." It was really funny! We played with him some more when he woke up from his nap and then after he went to bed, she helped me cook a big yummy supper! Then we stayed up late watching another chick flick, "The Proposal", which just happens to be one of my new favorite movies EVER. We all four had so much fun together. She left on Friday after we went shopping around town and had lunch at the house. Thanks for coming, Beppa! We love you!

We had a couple "firsts" occur with Korben while Rebecca was here. First of all, I tell Korben "Good morning" every morning. I guess it finally clicked with him because first thing on Thursday morning when I was changing his diaper he said "Morning" with the sweetest smile on his face! I, excitedly said, "MORNING!" back to him. He thought that was funny, so now he loves to say "morning" in the morning! Ha!

I was driving down Rogers Avenue with Rebecca and Korben in the car. I was about to tell Rebecca that the building next to us was Korben's doctor's office, but before I could get the words out of my mouth, Korben pointed and said "Doctor!" It is amazing to me that he is already knowing his surroundings.

He is also really into "trash." As soon as I take his diaper off, he points to the trash can and reminds me that it is now "trash". After each wipe I use, he reminds me that it is "trash." If I give him anything and tell him it is "trash", he will find the nearest trash can and throw it away.

He INSISTS on helping me unload the dishwasher. I now let him unload the silverware basket (don't worry, I take out all the sharp objects first). He puts them all in the one correct drawer, and I sort them out later. It really does help, and it is so sweet.

We had a family outing to Target, and happened to pick him up his first crayons and coloring book. He really likes his "colors" and will sit very quietly at the table playing with his crayons. He is really growing up! I also just have to share that his cutest new word is "popcorn." It seriously melts my heart when he says it. It sounds like "Pawwwp-Orn" He really loves it! Especially at Target!

Tonight, Korben got to have one-on-one attention with one of his favorite people in the world, Linda Cain. Aaron hosted a "Parent Summit" tonight, which was a dinner and meeting specifically for parents of students in the youth group. Aaron shared his heart and vision for youth ministry, while presenting the calendar and other details like that to the parents. Childcare was available, but most parents don't have children that small. It turned out to just be Korben and his buddy Will Rollans, who is 4. There were two nursery workers, and two kids. Those boys had it pretty good! They had the playroom all to themselves! When I went in to get Korben, he was having a ball playing hide and seek with Linda and little Will! Linda said Korben was showing Will where she was hiding. Korben was soooooo tired when we got home. I'm assuming he ran for at least 2 hours.



Here is a picture of him enjoying playing with his crayons today.
























P.S. Have I told you guys lately how BIG Korben is? He has grown SO much just withing the past month! He is so tall! Most of his pants are starting to look like capris and a lot of his shirts that looked great a month ago are now way too short! How does this happen so quickly?

No comments: