Thursday, June 4, 2009

Playing catch up

Korben was freed of his ace bandage sling/wrap on May 12th. The orthopedic doctor said he was healed, good as new, and he hoped to never see him again. Wow. It is still mind blowing how quickly a baby can heal! The first week was the roughest part, and it was really just the first half of that week which was terrible. By the second half of the first week, he was already improvising and using his left hand for everything. By the second week, he didn't really miss his right hand at all, and he started walking back and forth to things. He would go back and forth from Aaron and me, and he would walk from a chair to the couch. It terrified us because we didn't want his wobbly self to fall and hurt his arm, but once he realized he could do this he was hard to keep still. Since he couldn't crawl with a broken arm, it really motivated him to start walking. Once he got his sling off, I was really concerned about him using his right arm again. He was extremely careful with it, and seemed like he just simply forgot it was there after not using it for two weeks. Thankfully, by the time we got back from our vacation, he was using it like a pro.


Here is a picture of him getting a sponge bath during the beginning of week one. These were the sad days.




















Here is a video of him acclimating to his one armed physique, and walking around during week two.








The next picture was taken on the happiest day, May 12th, when the doctor released him. On my drive to my mom's house after leaving children's hospital it came a DOWNPOUR! I heard Korben rustling through his diaper bag (with his left hand only, of course!) He apparently found a sleeve of saltine crackers that were unopened. He managed to open them, with only his left hand and his teeth, and eat half of the package. You can only imagine the mess of crumbs that were in my back seat that day. I heard him back there munching, but I never turned around to take them away from him because I was focusing too hard on driving in the rain. Praise the Lord he didn't choke and we didn't wreck. This is the innocent face he gave me when I finally pulled into my mom's driveway.



























Here is a really cute picture of Korben and my mom taken the next morning. He was eating his new favorite thing in the world, "yogurt melts." (We are slowly experimenting with dairy products. These seem to be alright so far.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I LOVE the story about the crackers! So funny! He is such a handsome boy and I'm so glad that red hair is sticking around! I'm thankful to hear that he's okay and his arm is well! I love you!