Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Will it ever end?

We ended up having to take our boy to the ER last night. He was the sickest he has been thus far with the worst diarrhea he had ever had. I spoke with his nurse all throughout the day, and she told me to do my best to thicken up his diet with solids (BRAT diet) and his soy milk. I thought he was tolerating it all pretty well, until around 4:30 EVERYTHING came back up. This was the first time he had vomited since he had gotten this virus, and it really worried me. By that point, the nurse had to tell me to go to the ER.

Aaron and I showed up around 5. Korben was appearing to be the most "well" child that ever lived...waving Hi and Bye Bye to everyone that walked by, and dancing to stranger's ringtones. He was really making a liar out of us, at first. I told the nurses that when he is sick next time, I'm just going to bring him to the ER waiting room since it seemed to cure him (well, not really!).

They did blood work which ruled out a lot of really bad things, and they only found that he was mildly dehydrated. They gave him a pill for nausea and told us to give him some jello 30 minutes later. He scarfed down the first half of the jello, and then he started crying, pushing it away. Five minutes later, the diarrhea came...and came...and came. I probably changed 6 diapers just while we were at the ER. They tested his stool, and we haven't found out anything from that yet.

We came home, and by then he already had another bad diaper. He also woke two times in the night screaming his head off. He trembled when I tried to change his diaper, so I know this mess is burning him!

He drank some soy milk, and had some banana and crackers this morning. After that he was exhausted, and just fell asleep in my arms. I transferred him to his crib, and he is still asleep now. I'm praying that he can keep his food down today, and that he starts to get better immediately.

This poor little boy has been through so much tummy trouble. He has had 3 stomach viruses in 3 months (the last two within one month), as well as lactose intolerant (probable) issues. His tummy has not been right for a long time. I'm so glad we were able to rule out anything terrible at the ER, because weird thoughts had started to plague me.

I will hopefully be able to update with some good news tonight. Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

Rachel Freeman said...

Oh goodness! that sounds horrible. I'll pray for Korbin and you. Call me if you need anything. No fever? 719-6250.