Sunday, April 5, 2009

Babies are like a box of chocolates...

Babies are definitely like a box of chocolates, because you never know what you are going to get. You put them to bed, they're happy and healthy. They wake up sick and cranky. How does this happen? Especially, how does this happen when they just got over a stomach virus two weeks ago? Shouldn't there at least be a 4 week grace period for moms after a stomach virus? I've got to read the fine print on this.

Korben woke up Saturday with very very bad diarrhea. He had a low fever, so I knew that he had probably caught another virus. I had taken him to Mother's Day Out on Friday, and his nursery workers told me that he'd had two bad diapers. However, he seemed so happy on Friday afternoon that I didn't think anything could possibly be wrong.

Let me tell you how pitiful this baby was yesterday. Immediately after I got him out of his crib, I put him in the bath tub(reasons mentioned above). He normally prefers to stand in the bath tub, but this time he just sat there with his head down. He drank a little bit of pedialyte after that and a few bites of banana and toast. Then he just lethargically laid in my lap and sucked his thumb. He had only been awake for about an hour, but I took his cue and laid him in his bed. He slept for 2.5 hours. He woke up for another hour or so, drank a little bit more, then he slept for over 4 hours. I eventually had to just wake him up because it was past 4 o' clock at this point! He ate some toast and some more banana, and couldn't wait to go to bed at 5:30. And would you believe the poor baby slept until 7:40 this morning?? The sweet little thing was not even awake longer than 3 hours ALL DAY yesterday! Have you ever been that sick? I know I have. I am so grateful he was able to sleep so well yesterday, considering there is nothing I could do to make him feel any better.

I think he is a little bit better today, but he is definitely not over it. I feel so sorry for him. He has had so many tummy troubles in his short little life.


Let me leave you with 3 random facts:

On a happy note, Korben took two steps today! For about a month now, every now and then, he has been letting go of things and taking a step (falling immediately after). Well, today he took TWO successful steps toward his daddy from the coffee table. We were all so thrilled! I know he has had the capability to walk for months now. He has pushed his walker toys around the house for several months. He has just not been quite ready to let go yet. We know he will walk when he is ready, but it seems like it may be getting close!


On a funny note, Korben has discovered the toilet. He is wondering where this thing has been his whole life? No, he is not quite using it, but he would sure love to get in it if he could! I have to keep bathroom doors closed at all time, because if he gets one glimpse of the toilet we are all in trouble. Just last week I was sitting in the floor of his room looking at a big sack of hand-me-down clothes that a friend just gave me (thank you so much, Bekah Coursey!!). I promise you, he was right next to me, opening and closing the door. Well, just a SECOND later, I heard "WOOSH" (the sound of a toilet flushing, in case you didn't know!), I ran into the guest bathroom and Korben was so thrilled that he had figured out how to flush the toilet. He is FAST people, I tell you! What is it with boys and toilet humor?

On an interesting note, I just found out about something I really should have invented myself. http://www.Smartmomjewelry.com This company, Smart Mom Jewelry, makes jewelry for moms specifically that their baby can chew on. I know what you are picturing...something that looks like a farm scene designed by Fisher Price himself. NO...It is actually even cute! To those of you who aren't mothers, you may think, that is disgusting. Why would you even need that? Well, every time I've ever tried to wear jewelry, Korben can't think about anything else other than how badly he wants to teethe on my necklace or bracelet. In moments of desperation (the best example I can think of would be a crowded post office line), you give in, and just let them chew on it. This could be detrimental to your jewelry or hazardous to your baby's health if the jewelry were to break. I can't tell you how many times I have worn specific jewelry that I knew wouldn't break, because I knew Korben would want to chew on it. So yeah, smart mom jewelry! What will they think of (before me) next?

No comments: