Monday, January 19, 2009

OFFICIALLY CRAWLING

My job as a stay at home mom has just taken on a more extensive job description. Part of that description would include, "keep Korben from crawling out of the house." Okay, maybe not out of the house, but he is officially "on the move." I can't believe how much has changed in one week! On Sunday the 11th, Korben could still not crawl. Sunday the 18th, he was promoted to the crawler room at church and he was keeping up with the best of them. I can't believe he is so good at something he has only been doing for a week. If he gets his eye on something he wants, it doesn't matter how far he has to go to get it. The things he wants the most: cell phone chargers, cords of any kind, gum wrappers, and pieces of lint that are (almost) to small for the human eye to see. It is pretty scary. Aaron and I just can't quit commenting on how different life seems at home with a moving baby. We were both in the bathroom brushing our teeth this morning and we just wanted Korben to sit on the carpet with his toys for a SECOND. Everytime I'd move him back to his toys, there he was, pulling up on our legs again!

One week ago, I first saw him standing in his crib. Of course, I was so proud of this new skill he had learned. I am no longer as enthusiastic about this little trick. I'm going to entitle it "the sleep stealer." You see, he will lay down to take a nap, sleep for about 5-10 minutes, and then stand up in his crib and scream until I come to get him. I don't think he has figured out that he can lay back down once he stands up. I'm determined to teach him this very soon, though. These 10 minute naps are not going to cut it.

He did NOT take a good nap after church yesterday, which means by 4:30 when I dropped him off in the church nursery he was incredibly fussy (due to exhaustion). When I came back to pick him up at 7, he had only napped for a few minutes, and spent most of his time crying. Poor ladies in the nursery! I'm convinced this behavior can be mostly blamed on no nap in the morning (because of church) and a lame afternoon nap (standing in crib). However, he did have a 101 temperature last night which made us think that an ear infection was possibly to blame for this fussiness. I couldn't help but take him to the doctor today to rule out an ear infection. He has only ever had one, and the only symptoms were fussiness and ear pulling. Now every time he is fussy and pulling on his ears, my heart is unsettled until I know for sure that he doesn't have an ear infection. Dr. Dupree said there was no ear infection. Yay! She said his fussiness could be coming from teething and the fever from some sort of cold.

My favorite thing about taking Korben to the doctor is finding out his height and weight. I could not believe how much he had grown in ONE MONTH. When I took him for his 9 month check up he was 22 pounds and 30 inches. Today he was 24 pounds and 31 1/4 inches. I told y'all he'd been making up for lost meals after that stomach virus.

I am having problems getting my videos uploaded to you tube, but hopefully I'll get them posted soon. I have some CUTE ones to show.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I played peek a boo with him when i got to church last night and he was all smiles. Guess he got fussy after I went upstairs. I am glad to hear him crawling. Fun times for you guys.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! You've got a mover and a shaker on your hands now! I would have never thought that the reason he doesn't go back to sleep is because he doesn't know how to lay back down after standing up! Genius mommy! Makes sense though! Hopefully he'll catch on to that little skill soon! Have fun with your crawler!

Melissa Southerland said...

Your life has changed forever now that he's on the move :) HA!!!