Sunday, February 22, 2009

A week of changes!

It seems that during the times I have the most blog worthy material in my life, I have the littlest desire to blog. I guess that is because I'm too busy enjoying the "blog-worthy" things! This has been a great week of blogging material, and I hate that I have waited a week to report all of the cool things our 11 and a half month old has done.

1. Mastered the Sippy Cup:

Last weekend I started thinking about what Dr. Beene told me at Korben's 9 month check up. She said to start introducing the sippy cup, and start working toward having him weaned off the bottle by his one year check up. I felt like a failure because I really hadn't done a great job with sippy cup training, and I knew his birthday was quickly approaching. I would offer it to him a couple time a week for juice, but I honestly just forgot about it, and I wasn't consistent with the training. So, Monday...in all of my impatience...thought- this is the day! So, I started his first morning "bottle" feeding with his sippy cup. He took a few sips of it, then looked up at me like "you know this isn't a bottle, right?" He wasn't loving the experience, but he drank the entire thing. By the next feeding, he was pretty mad at me. He pretty much threw a fit because he didn't want to drink out of the sippy cup. I was determined to be consistent. I had a doctor's appointment soon, so I went ahead and put him in the car without feeding him. He was fussing in the car, so I decided to hand his cup to him. It wasn't 5 seconds before I heard him slurping it down from the back seat! I was so proud! I called Aaron to tell him the news. You would have thought he had just written his name we were so impressed. He was still pretty frustrated with me on Monday night, but by Tuesday morning, he was feeding himself! I was so proud, and SHOCKED that he learned this skill so quickly. On the other hand, I was a little emotional that he had lost a little bit of his "baby-ness." At least he still likes to sit in my lap and cuddle while he drinks out of his cup. Here is a picture I snapped this morning of our big boy!























2. Walking- well, sort of!

On Monday night I was on the phone with my best friend Emily, and I remarked that Korben didn't seem to have much interest in walking. I told her he hadn't really tried to walk while holding on to things, nor did he want to walk with his push walker. Well, all of that seemed to change on Tuesday. I started noticing him going from holding on to the couch, to holding on to the coffee table. I started noticing him side-stepping around his changing table. I thought, "wow, that happened over night." So, I got his push-walker back out, and there he went! Walking around like it was nothing! Here is a video clip I got of him going to town this morning with his walker.








3. High-Fiving

My mom was here this weekend, and I give her the credit for teaching Korben how to high-five. She likes to say that Korben taught her how to high-five. On Saturday morning, he was just sitting in his high chair eating breakfast, and reached his hand out to mom, looking like he wanted her to high five him. She did, and he has been hooked ever since. As of now, he only wants to do this trick while in his high chair at home. So, dont' have your feelings hurt if you run in to Korben on the street and he doesn't high five you. ;o)






Some other exciting things from this week have included:

-He says (a perfected) "Bye Bye", complete with a cute little hand that opens and closes.

-Tried the chicken from my Chicken Cacciatore on Monday night and LOVED it. Has eaten chicken every day since.

-I am barely feeding him any baby food anymore. He is eating fruits, vegetables, toast, pasta, chicken, and loves it! He is adding a new table food to his diet every couple of days.

-Dad, DaDa, Daddy...basically all forms of "DaDa" are still his favorite things to say, although Bye Bye is a close second. Mama is rare these days, but I do hear it every blue moon. He still loves to say "Hey" and "Hi." Sometimes I hear him say "Yeth" when he is playing with his toys. Its like "yes" with a lisp. It is so very cute!


Like I said earlier, my mom came up this past weekend. She was so so kind to take me shopping and help me find a few new things to wear. I have lost over 30 pounds so I barely have any clothes that fit. I am not saying this to brag, just for record keeping purposes. Remember, this is the only baby book I have been keeping. I have lost pregnancy, newlywed, college, and even a little bit of high school weight...so, needless to say, I needed a few new things. I thank the Lord for the weight watchers system. It is a perfect system for me because I don't like to have to do without any of my favorite foods. Now, if I can just give up artificial sweetener. Don't get me wrong...I like water, but I also like a drink with flavor every now and then too! My only options are drinks that have calories (And I would much rather "eat" my calories), or drinks with artificial sweetener (which is proven to be terrible for you). I really want to be healthy in every way, so I am writing about this on my blog sort of as accountability! I drank water with my popcorn last night, which was a HUGE step for me.

Here are a few pictures from this weekend. Yes, you do see a "Happy 1st Birthday" banner in the background. We ordered that for Korben's birthday party, and we decided we would just celebrate all month long. Why not, right?




3 comments:

Cori said...

WW is great! Congratulations on losing all that weight.. It's a nice piece of encouragement!

Korben is absolutely precious and his pictures were adorable! Your photographer is very talented, but it is pretty easy when you are taking pictures of such a precious little boy!

Jennifer said...

Oh man, do I remember those days of transitioning to the sippy cup. It's so funny because with Meredith, my first, I was just like you and I managed to get her switched right before her 1 year check up. With Alli, my second, I didn't care as much because I thought since she would probably be my last baby I kept her on a bottle a little longer and didn't mind telling the doctor.

Leigh Ann said...

Hey, I was wondering just how much weight you've lost! you go girl. that's awesome and you look beautiful.