Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Korben says NO to cows milk. (Not literally)

I forgot to mention in my post entitled "six month check up" that the doctor suggested trying Korben on cow's milk formula again. She said that milk intolerances are often just temporary, and since cow's milk formula has a few more health benefits it was worth giving a try again. He has been on soy formula since he was 2.5 months, after reacting terribly to breast milk for 1.5 months. Dr. Beene suggests that every six months we should re-evaluate whether or not babies still have an intolerance to cows milk. I started giving him cow's milk formula last wednesday, I noticed a little bit of abnormal grunting and fussiness over the weekend, but it started to get really bad sunday night. He was violently arching his back, coughing, spitting up and crying unconsolably. I didn't immediately think it was the formula just because I keep expecting teething symptoms to come (besides drooling and gnawing), however, I ended up taking him to the doctor today because these past three days have been terrible. After Korben has had a bottle he will arched his back so intensly that he can almost fly backwards out of my arms. You can just see all over his face that he is in pain. The happiest he has been the past three days is right when he wakes up and his stomach is empty. This has completely taken me back to the most challenging month and a half of my life. This is what life was like almost every day in April and May. I feel so bad we have had to put him through this just for the sake of experimentation. So, obviously, he is back on soy, and has had another dosage increase of his reflux meds. I'm praying all of the milk will get out of his tummy ASAP, and we can have our happy baby back. Dr. Beene told me that when he is one year old to clear out a week when we don't have anything really important to do and thats when we will experiment with whole milk. I'm dreading that week, but I pray that he will have outgrown his intolerance by then. If a milk intolerance is all we have to deal with, we are incredibly blessed.

No comments: