Monday, December 8, 2008

A day in the life of our 9 month old (almost)

Tomorrow we are going to see Dr. Beene for Korben's 9 month check up. It will just so happen to be Korben's actual 9 month birthday as well! My baby is growing up so fast, and its hard to fathom how soon he will turn one year old.

I recognize that it is not normally a good thing to have to take your baby to the doctor, but I've always liked taking him for check ups. They are fun because he well, happy, and showing off for everyone who works at the clinic. Dr. Beene and I just sit and visit about all of the things Korben is doing. I've been thinking the past couple days about what she would probably want to know, which got me in the mood to update my blog. This may seem like a boring blog entry (Sorry, I don't have any photos or videos to post), but I'm sure that one day I will want to look back and know exactly what my 9 month old was doing (or not doing).

Saying: DaDa, Daddy, Hi, Hey, Hi/Hey DaDa, MaMa (rarely, and accidentally)

Drinking: Four 8 oz. bottles of soy formula a day. One when he wakes up, one 3 hours later, one 3 hours after that, and one before he goes to bed. I know that he will be transitioning off of the bottle in about 3 months, so I am working on introducing the sippy cup. Its a slow progress. He doesn't even hold his own bottle yet, so this sippy cup is not appealing to him at all. He actually does really well when I let him sip out of a real cup. Maybe we can skip the sippy cup all together( and make an even bigger mess wherever we go)? Who knows?

Eating: Right now he is eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, with a baby jar of some sort of fruit. He also eats cheerios, which he can feed himself. At lunch he eats a jar of vegetables and feeds himself torn up pieces of toast. At dinner he eats another jar of vegetables and/or fruit and something he can feed himself (cheerios, toast, or small pieces of pasta.) He is doing so much better at eating things without gagging. For a while, every time I put anything in his mouth he would choke. He has had a lot of practice with his cheerios, and now successfully gets almost every one of them in his mouth, and never chokes (lets keep it that way, Korben! Momma's heart stops everytime you choke/gag/cough profusely/etc.).

Doing: He sits up and plays with his toys for a long, long time. He loves to have a big basket of toys in front of him and unload each toy, one by one. He will thoroughly examine each toy until he is tired of it, put it down, and get the next toy from the basket. He will do this until the basket is empty. Then he usually tries to "pull up" on the empty basket which never works out for him. From the sitting position he will lunge forward on his hands and knees to get something. He will appear to be in crawling position, but once he gets what he wants, he goes back to the sitting on his knees. His crawling is slowly progressing, but these lunges I speak of seem to be happening more often. He is becoming a lot more daring and ambitious. If he is sitting on my lap on the couch, he will throw his body to the other end of the couch to reach something off of the side table. It doesn't matter what it is, he just wants it. He loves for me to hold his arms while he jumps on the bed. He loves to hear someone whistle. If he is sitting near anything he can pull up on, he will pull up into the standing position. However, he has yet to be able to sit up from the laying position, so he is still not pulling up or standing in his crib. I expect it every time I go in his room, though.

Sleeping: God has blessed us with the best sleeping baby ever. He goes to bed around 5-5:30 every night, and wakes up between 7 and 7:30 every morning. He usually takes 3, one hour naps a day, but recently he has had some days where he takes 2, one and a half hour naps. I think this is the sleep pattern where we are heading. The only sleeping issue we are having lately is that he will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night screaming because he has flipped over to his belly and he can't figure out how to roll back over. I know he does know how to roll over, I see him do it all the time. I guess he's just not thinking so clearly in the middle night...I can understand that. As soon as I roll him over, he is off to sleep again. I don't run in there instantly because I want to see if he will do it himself. I sure don't want him to think that he has a new trick for me to come into his room whenever he wants me. We told someone about this happening and he said "Its like he wakes up in the middle of the night thinking the mattress is attacking him." Well said.

Developing: He has two bottom teeth, but they are still tiny. He has been rubbing his thumb on his top gum for the past week, especially on the sides (where the canine/vampire teeth would come in) so I'm wondering if those will be his next teeth.
His hair is really growing and somewhat wavy. It has now finally grown back to be longer than it was when he was born. We can't go anywhere without compliments on his hair!
He is in size 5 shoes, size 4 diapers, and wearing 18-24 month clothes.
He went though a stage when he was 3-4 months old when he sucked his thumb whenever he was sleepy. I would always try to put him to sleep with a pacifier to encourage him not to suck his thumb. I thought he had kicked this habit, but I have started noticing the past couple of weeks that he sucks his thumb when he is sleepy, or seems to be having teething pain. I went in his room to check on him while he was napping today and he was asleep with his thumb in his mouth. I put him to bed with a pacifier, but he must have lost it and found his thumb quickly. He may have never stopped doing this. I guess he has plenty of time during his 14 hour nights of sleep to nurture a habit without me knowing. Hey, maybe that's why he sleeps so well?

Can I just say that this is my favorite stage yet??? I guess they have all been my favorite in their own way, but MAN he is fun right now! Aaron and I just can't get enough of him. I can tell that it is harder for Aaron to leave in the mornings (he probably kisses him goodbye 200 times), and he is always so thrilled to get home and see him. I guess the new "Hey DaDa" thing doesn't hurt either.

I will post tomorrow about how the 9 month check up went!

No comments: